Starting a homebrew club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalko

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas/tips/advice on starting a homebrew club in my area. The nearest ones are approx. 100 miles away (or more). What do you recommend to get one started or finding people that might be interested?

Cheers,
Robert

if you have a lhbs they can help you connect with other brewers. If you check peoples locations you can also find locals here (for example, buffalo ny helps other locals contact me, deep south usa not so much (if you are in alabama I can understand the general location)).

Write down all the things you'd like to get out of the club. Find a place to have regular meetings and it should be somewhere out in public that allows for BYOB. Start a website with info on what the club is about and where you meet. Make the meetings at the same time every month or whatever frequency you like. Register with the AHA. Even if you're the only guy at the meeting, hang in there until you get regulars.

I'd just find a group on here that is really cool, and move closer to them.

On a more serious note, you might want to contact those in the group 100 miles away, let em know you want to start one closer to home. They may know others that are far enough away to not want to make the trip. You could then coordinate some larger gatherings less often. If you have local brew pubs, that is a great recruitment center. In ours there is always hop talk. You can tell who the brewers are. The bonus is you will have to spend a lot of time in the local brew pub.

The kink in a BYOB place is that it's HB'ing is not statutorily recognized in this state - yet.

This may make it hard to find other members, but maybe the best place is whoever has the biggest garage or basement where the windows can be covered with trash bags.

Where in MS are you? The Bluff City Brewers in Memphis, TN, have some people from the North west bit of your state. (Not that they brew of course...) PM or email me and I'll get you some contacts if you'd like.

Back