Starting a hole without a punch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuginator

Reaction score
Going to drill two holes in my Bayou Classic 62-qt HLT soon, but one thing is tripping me up. I don't want to use a punch on it, because the stainless is thin enough that I think it'll dent it. Is there another way to get a starter hole going for the step bit without using a punch, other than just trying to be steady and straight-on? I think the bit is going to wander all over the place.

if you have enough room, and if its flat enough, then you can c-clamp some 1/2" plywood (or any wood) on both sides and then drill into the wood...it will act as a guide for you...the wood on the back side will help keep it from distorting...

-Walter

If you use one of these it won't dent the kettle. You should be able to find one at your local hardware or big box store:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=56652&cat=1,43456

Alternately, you could drill a very small pilot hole in the kettle. Start slowly and the small bit should not wander much if any at all once you create a dimple for it to rest in. Follow the pilot hole with a hole saw or step bit to enlarge.

Hey, very cool guys - thank you!

That's what I love about this forum - ANY question can be answered it seems!

We used the smallest bit in my collection to make a pilot hole for the step bit used to drill the keg that was converted into a mash tun. Talking about a 1/16" bit here. My set is all cobalt bits so they go through ss like buttah.

I have a line on some more kegs that I hope to get soon. If I do then I'll probably convert one, or two for my own use. Not sure what I'd do with the rest (could be getting four of them). Just waiting to hear if they're still available or not.

Back