Starting a Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisenhans

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm curious as to who here has ever successfully managed to start a brewery, no matter how small or large, or at the very least, sell their homebrews and make a profit.

I'm currently a small business owner in Seattle, and the most intimidating thing to me when I first explored the idea was dealing with all of the state licenses and registrations. Now that I have all of that under my belt, I want to be able to entertain the idea of seriously starting a small local brewery. Of course, my current industry and manufacturing beer are two different beasts, and I would like to know your stories and your advice for a novice like me.

Cheers!

Just to clear this up, you cannot legally sell your homebrew under any circumstances - this is against federal law.

There are a few threads here about others who have gone pro, their journey, etc. I know that there is at least another forum that deals exclusively with this topic.

Just to clear this up, you cannot legally sell your homebrew under any circumstances - this is against federal law.

Ooh, good point, and thanks for the tip.

I'll have a dig through the forums for existing threads. If a mod wants to move this one to an appropriate forum or merge with an existing thread, that's fine too :)

edit - Ah, i see that Yooper has faster fingers than i do.... :)

I don't think it's faster fingers- but I always liked Don and it came to mind right away. :D

Don had a very good job in Seattle. With a very prominent person/business (did he ever say who? because I don't want to say if it's not well known).

And he chose to "live the dream", giving up his good job and taking a big risk. It's a great story, and there is no better guy to look up to than Don Webb.

Back