Starter without Krausen Wyeast 2124.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has any input on this.

I received a new pouch of Wyeast 2124 and set it in a starter yesterday morning before i left for work (1liter at 1.030) when i came home there appeared to be no activity at all, no krausen was apparent and no ring from where the krausen might have been was there either but when i checked the gravity of the starter it was 1.009. I didn't end up getting home until 11PM so it is possible that throughout the day it completely fermented out but i have never had a starter not show signs of the krausen.

Any ideas?

Given your gravity readings it must have fermented while you where out. If it was on a stir plate it may not krausen really high, just a thin layer of bubbles on top that may not leave a ring.

Was it on a stir-plate or just in a flask? I would say your fermentation is all set if its at 1.009. If you really want to you can decant and then pour some fresh 1.030 on it 4 hours prior to brewing and you theoretically should have some active yeast going at the point you are ready to pitch.

Yes it was on a stirplate, which i normally do use and still get a krausen but i switched to a 2L flask from a 1L and i only had a liter of fluid in it so it could just be that the increased surface area made the krausen spread out.

Just for the fun of it i decanted and did another starter last night, this morning there was no sign of Krausen yet.

Latest posts

Back