Starter with only 1 dry pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titleist

Reaction score
Is there an acceptable method to make an adequate starter out of only 1 11.5 oz dry yeast pack? I screwed up ordering and I wanted to start a zombie dust clone and only have 1 s-04 packet....malty recommends 1.2.

Is there a way to compensate such as a larger starter?

Information from Fermentis:
You can make a starter with dry yeast. The yeast must be rehydrated first. Don't use RO or distilled water for the rehydration. The lack of minerals in the water creates osmotic pressure which will damage the cell walls.

The Fermentis site offers the best information on how to rehydrate.
http://www.brewwithfermentis.com/tips-tricks/yeast-rehydration/

Once the yeast is rehydrated, it is the same as yeast purchased in a smack pack or vial.

Information from Fermentis:
You can make a starter with dry yeast. The yeast must be rehydrated first. Don't use RO or distilled water for the rehydration. The lack of minerals in the water creates osmotic pressure which will damage the cell walls.

The Fermentis site offers the best information on how to rehydrate.
http://www.brewwithfermentis.com/tips-tricks/yeast-rehydration/

Once the yeast is rehydrated, it is the same as yeast purchased in a smack pack or vial.

This^^^^^ is true except that the rehydrated dry yeast also has some sterols to aid in cell reproduction.

In many cases, the 11g packet of dry yeast (assuming it's not old or mishandled and is properly rehydrated in warm tap water) is enough cells for a 5-gallon batch of 1.060 OG or lower.

wanted to start a zombie dust clone and only have 1 s-04 packet

Have done this many times and one pack of s-04 is all I've ever needed.

and what the others said, just rehydrate it, no need to make a starter.

Also, the amount of growth you'll get out of a starter with dry yeast will be miniscule unless you have a huge starter (talking like a gallon, or 2-3 liters with a stirplate).
Yes, it would need to be a big and well-executed starter to get an improvement in both quality and quantity. A half-hearted starter will just take 1 packet worth of healthy strong yeast and turn it into 1l of yucky starter beer and 1 packet worth of yeast devoid of nutrients suffering from CO2 and alcohol poisoning.

That is true, but I wish the myth that a starter can not be made with dry yeast would die.

Is it mostly a case of the potential downside to the potential stresses on the yeast in making a starter, greatly outweighing the minimal anticipated theoretical growth in the cell count. This translates over time into "you can't make as tarter with dry yeast" rather than as it should more accurately be stated; "it is ill advised to make a starter with a dry yeast".

Back