Starter with Inverted Sugar Syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Will this work if I am using a Wyeast smack pack? It has the yeast nutrient in it so my question is would I need DME in there for the proper starter nutrition as I will already have a pack full of nutrients dumped in there with some inverted sugar?

If you use inverted sugar, or any other sugar, it will ferment just fine. The problem is that it may not ferment the actual beer very well. The main fermentable sugar in beer is maltose, and yeast needs to produce certain enzymes to digest it properly. When they are put in a solution of simple sugars, such as invert sugar, they stop making these enzymes. As such, if you make a starter with invert sugar, the stater will take off very well. And then the yeast will do very poorly (probably) when you put it in the actual wort.

Do you think instant oatmeal based starter would work well then? There's suppose to be 7-18" of snow tomorrow overlaid a layer of ice and I want to brew this weekend. I may just suck it up and drive down to my LHBS Thursday lol.

Thanks for the advice man...

Well, you have several factors to take into account. First, what is the batch size and strength? If it's not a strong beer or if it's a small batch, it may be fine without a starter (unless it's a lager). Second, how long of a starter will you need? If it's not too large, the yeast may not become accustomed to the simpler sugar.

I don't think oatmeal would help much. Without conversion enzymes (as in a mash), you'll get mostly just starch in oats.

An alternative would be to just put the wort somewhere cold until you can pitch the yeast properly. Recently I had a pilsner starter go awry, and so I just put the wort in a cold shed (it froze) until my yeast was ready. It's going perfectly so far - quite vigorous even below the supposed minimum temps.

Back