Starter with dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maffew

Reaction score
I have only brewed 6 batches of beer thus far and I am thinking about doing the black IPA at Northern brewer. My question is If I decide to use the Safale us-05 instead of the wyeast do I need to make a starter or just pitch the dry yeast. Up until now I have only used wyeast and made starters on the higher gravity brews but was thinking of using the dry yeast this time and was unsure. If I do need to make a starter with the dry yeast, do I do it the same way as the wyeast instructions?

Never, ever make a starter with dry yeast. You should rehydrate it however. Always, every time make a starter with liquid yeast.

That's the rules ;)

Yes it is the 1.075. Sounds like this is a good yeast. I am definitely going with it on this Black IPA.

That does seem excessive. I pour in warm water(90*) let sit for 10 minutes while I areiate my wort. Stir to make sure it is mixed well and not stuck to my cup and pitch.

I will use dry yeast and harvesting from the fermentor for washing. I then have enough for a number of batches. I do make a starter and pitch according to Mr. Malty.

Latest posts

Back