Starter with current wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheaperPlease

Reaction score
I want to make a yeast started for this beer
but i have no DME, Since i dont have a wort
chiller it will be hours till i can add my yeast,
maybe even over night, could i quickly chill
some of the wort from this beer and begin a
starter in it before i added it to the beer
itself?

I did it by the way, worked out fine and
had my ale bubbling away in 4 hours.
Hell of an improvement over my Tripel
not starting for about 24hr.

By the way, Fuquay? is that pronounced
like Bouquet with an F?

True, but their website says it won't hurt to make a starter, it pisses me off when my ferment dosnt start in about 5 hours so i gotta have something to speed it up. Also i cant aerate well in a 5 gal carboy so I thought if the yeast went through the oxygen building time in a enviroment that was oxygen rich, it would help.

I ask about the Fuquay thing because my last name is Fuqua, I pronounce it the same way you do, i thought the bouquet thing would work better because thats the way most people say it. The y makes it seem a little altered, looks out of place. i heard the orignal spelling of my last name was Fouquet. pronounced in french, my haritage, would sound like Few-quay or Fuqua.

budbo said:
white labs vials are designed to pitch 5 gallons without a starter
That's what they advertise, but even the XL Wyeast packs are underpitching 5g of wort based on what most literature recommends as 1 million cells / ml wort / degree plato. Here's a pretty nifty calculator which shows how many smack packs or vials would be required for a given volume at a given SG:
http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php#F

Back