Starter Vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBone

Reaction score
Okay, I'm making the big jump. I'm going to start doing starters:fro:

I see a lot of pictures in the gallery of folks using plastic juice bottles and other receptacles, and then of course, the professional chemistry vials.

Is the vessel that the starter is made in critical to the process? :eek:

TheBone said:
Okay, I'm making the big jump. I'm going to start doing starters:fro:

I see a lot of pictures in the gallery of folks using plastic juice bottles and other receptacles, and then of course, the professional chemistry vials.

Is the vessel that the starter is made in critical to the process? :eek:

I use a Large measuring cup and Saran Wrap or a Sanatized 22 Oz Beer Bottle which ever is not being used at brew time.

Not critical at all. My only concern with certain containers would be if the smell of the previous liquid was hard to remove. For my last starter, I used a 1 gallon water jug, worked just fine.

Half gallon growlers (which you can typically find at your LHBS) are a decent low cost option. (until you pour in water that is too hot:( )

Jars work nice also.

IMG_2121.JPG

TheBone said:
Don't you need an airlock or some type of blow-off?

In my picture the left and center jar are the yeast cake taken from the secondary. The right is my starter which just has the lid laid on top, not screwed down.

If you are going to use a stir plate you want something with a flat bottom. Otherwise just about anything that can be sanitized will work.

Back