Starter to salvage yeast pack.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camonick

Mediocre brewer... Expert drinker
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a little ahead of myself when I ordered ingredients a few weeks ago. One item was a package of liquid yeast. I don’t think I’ll be able to use it anytime soon and it’s pushing the “use by date”. Can I make a starter with it to rejuvenate the yeast then store it like I would a slurry from a standard fermentation then step it up again when I’m ready?
Thanks
Nick

Of course, Nick. I do it all the time...just recently had an order of Cosmic Punch that took 10 days to deliver. The package was expanded so I immediately made a starter, seemed like viable yeast. Split it into two mason jars and put them in the fridge. Now when I want to use it in a few weeks, I'll just make a fresh starter from one of the jars...

Of course, Nick. I do it all the time...just recently had an order of Cosmic Punch that took 10 days to deliver. The package was expanded so I immediately made a starter, seemed like viable yeast. Split it into two mason jars and put them in the fridge. Now when I want to use it in a few weeks, I'll just make a fresh starter from one of the jars...
Thank you. I kind of figured as much but wanted a 2nd opinion. Last couple packs of liquid yeast I’ve received have been pushing 3 months old by the time I received them.

it’s pushing the “use by date”.
Northern Brewer
You should complain about the age, they may send you a new one. Not sure what their replacement policies are, I've never used NB, but I've heard less than 2 months before the "best by" date is considered past prime by some online retailers.

Regardless, make a starter, as soon as possible or at earliest opportunity, so you have time on your side if it takes a few days extra. I've had some "fresh" packs/vials take a week on the stir plate to finally become thick and creamy looking.

When done, put the flask in the fridge.*
Before you're brewing, make another starter (or at least a vitality starter). You may want to overbuild and save some out for a next brew, and so on.

* After it cold crashed and settled out you can decant, and save the slurry in a (small) mason jar to save space. ;)

I had a package of White Labs WLP001 that I picked up almost two years ago and never used. So it was at least a year out of date. Just for grins, I took it out of the fridge, brought it back to room temp and pitched it into a 1 liter beaker along with some water and wheat DME. I was able to rouse it back to life and after a week I pitched it into my 12 gallon batch. The yeast is having a party. Darwin said that only the strongest survive, I can only hope that the yeast that survived this long period of inactivity will provide me with some tasty brew.

I'm guessing this is a smack pack? if it's not been smacked and hasn't swelled up, just keep it in the fridge until ur ready. It's probably ok. I think those dates are very conservative...just like at the grocery store.

I'm guessing this is a smack pack? if it's not been smacked and hasn't swelled up, just keep it in the fridge until ur ready. It's probably ok. I think those dates are very conservative...just like at the grocery store.
No, it’s Imperial yeast. Mfg. date 8-10-21.
7CB40692-D4CF-457C-B38B-609B88ED61D5.png

Not familiar...is this like a test tube or vial of liquid yeast? Aug 21 does not sound old to me. I'm used yeast harvests much older than that. You have been keeping it in the fridge?

Not familiar...is this like a test tube or vial of liquid yeast? Aug 21 does not sound old to me. I'm used yeast harvests much older than that. You have been keeping it in the fridge?
The package looks exactly like my photo above. It’s about 5”X7”. When I looked at the package the other day I mistook the mfg date for a best by date. Yes, it’s been in the fridge since the day it was delivered to me.

I’ll either let it be or make a starter sometime when I have time. I don’t usually like using liquid yeast because I hear so much bad talk about viability, cell counts, pitch rates, huge starters, etc. etc.
I like cutting the corner off a dry pack or two and just sprinkling it in.
I wanted to try this particular strain in a lager to see if it gives me the flavor I’ve been chasing.

I did this exact thing the other day and put the flask into the fridge last night. Had a pack of WLP001 with a best by date of 11/4/2021, I've had it in the fridge for a couple of months and just haven't used it.

Measured out 2L, but with boil off and everything ended up with a little over 1600ml. Going to decant a bit, then split into 2 400ml mason jars and I guess build those back up into 2L starters when I'm ready.

I’ll either let it be or make a starter sometime when I have time.
With liquid yeast you almost always need to make a starter:
a) To prove viability
b) Ramp up cell count
c) Optionally, overbuild, so you can stow some away for a next time

Since this is a Lager yeast, you need to pitch double the cell count of ales, 400 billion cells being typical for a 5.5 gallon batch of 1.050 Lager.

Not to steal this thread, but I'm curious about how you guys are splitting these and building two starters off one pack. How do you know when each is ready to pitch? Are you just going through the builds a certain number of times, or looking for a specific amount in the mason jars after to know when it's ready?

Not to steal this thread, but I'm curious about how you guys are splitting these and building two starters off one pack. How do you know when each is ready to pitch? Are you just going through the builds a certain number of times, or looking for a specific amount in the mason jars after to know when it's ready?
It's fairly easy and straightforward.

Use a yeast calculator to estimate:
  • # of cells on hand (due to age and handling),
  • # of cells needed (pitch rate),
  • and growth estimates based on certain variables
BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

The calculator will open up subsequent steps where needed.
Just keep an eye on the steps and numbers and apply common sense. For example, it sometimes adds an extra step for growing only an additional 10-50 billion cells, just to make the intended count. This is nonsensical, as you can easily grow that amount in the previous step by using additional starter wort, or live with a slight underpitch.

There's also an option to calculate overbuilds, to save out extra slurry for your yeast bank or another brew.

Keep this in mind:
To maximize growth per step, minimize the inoculation rate (to 25 million cells per ml or even a little less) by using the maximum starter volume to accomplish that.

Typical process:
Make your (first) starter with the yeast pack on hand, say, a typical 1.6-2 liters in a 2 liter (or larger) flask on a stir plate (or orbital shaker).
When completed, cold crash for a few days until it all settled out, then decant, leaving only the yeast slurry behind.

If the flask is large enough add enough fresh starter wort and let her grow again in the 2nd step. Or transfer the yeast slurry to a larger flask (or split over 2 or more flasks) and make new starters with those.

If you're short on flasks or stir plates, you can always store slurries in (mason) jars, kept in the fridge, until you're ready to pitch or make new starters.

When you live in Canada, expect liquid yeast to be pushing the BB date. My last 2 orders of yeast were 111 days old and 135 days old. First thing I did was make a starter. I had to do a 3 step starter just to be sure. Sucks to be 2 hours away from a HB shop where I can open the cooler and check the date.

Back