Starter stir bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
How do you keep the stir bar in the flask when pitching a starter from a stir plate? Screen? Strainer?

I use a rare earth magnet on the outside bottom, works like a charm.

I use one on the outside and pull the bar out all together, right out the top, with the start still in there.

I use a rare earth magnet to hold it in place while I decant the spent starter wort. I then swirl (still holding it in place) to get the yeast into suspension. I then use the magnet to remove the stirbar from the flask so that there's no worries about it going into the wort. I typically use one of these that's more than strong enough to do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the one who always forgets to put a magnet on and dump it right into my carboy. I should put a sticker on my flask to remind me.

I have a small rare earth magnet that lives on my fridge. The stirplate stays in the kitchen. When I turn it off I slide the magnet off the fridge and pull the stirbar up the side of the flask. Decant, pitch and the magnet holds the stirbar until I remove it and stick the magnet and stir bar back on the fridge till the next use.

Works for me, you just need to develop a routine that works for you. Make it simple, path of least resistance type of thing.

Do you guys pour the fermented malt into the new wort? I usually spin up the yeast into suspension and all the whole 1600 ml into my wort. Any problems whit this? It sounds like a stupid question, so sorry, but the cake at the bottom is the yeast right?! ::confused::

Some guys will pitch the whole thing. Me, I like to throw it in the refrigerator overnight and then take it out the morning of and let it get up to room temperature. Then I decant most of the "beer" and just leave enough to swirl the yeast into suspension, then pitch.

Typically not an issue either way...

So if I'm correct, DME fermented out fairly well, almost complete, almost, so by pitching the who show, are you not adding like a liter of alcohol on a 1600 ml starter?

Do you guys pour the fermented malt into the new wort? I usually spin up the yeast into suspension and all the whole 1600 ml into my wort. Any problems whit this? It sounds like a stupid question, so sorry, but the cake at the bottom is the yeast right?! ::confused::

As stated before, I chill to get the yeast to fall out of suspension, into a nice cake in the bottom of the flask. I then decant as much of the spent starter wort as possible and then swirl the rest to create a slurry. The slurry is what I pitch into the fermenter on top of the chilled wort that will become my beer. I aim to add as little spent starter wort as possible.

Back