Starter ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prezioso85

Reaction score
I may have ruined my yeast starter and need some opinions(drinking while making it was my first mistake). First I walked away from it during the 15 minute boil and it boiled over, no big deal I just lost a big portion of it. After dumping my stir bar down the drain and having to fish that out, being frustrated at that point(and buzzed) I wasn't paying attention and I pitched the California ale yeast into the hot wort. I turned on my stir plate and let it sit overnight. It now smells yeasty but is more of a brown color rather than tan, I'm guessing cause I let it boil too much? So should I start over due to pitching too hot? Or should it be fine?

I may have ruined my yeast starter and need some opinions(drinking while making it was my first mistake). First I walked away from it during the 15 minute boil and it boiled over, no big deal I just lost a big portion of it. After dumping my stir bar down the drain and having to fish that out, being frustrated at that point(and buzzed) I wasn't paying attention and I pitched the California ale yeast into the hot wort. I turned on my stir plate and let it sit overnight. It now smells yeasty but is more of a brown color rather than tan, I'm guessing cause I let it boil too much? So should I start over due to pitching too hot? Or should it be fine?

How hot was the wort?

if it was much over 100F, your yeast is probably dead and I would start over.

was the flask too hot to hold? If so, im guessing you killed your yeast and any activity that you do witness is a wild infection which has started fermenting the starter

It does seem to have some activity, but like you said might be wild yeast, I'm worried about off flavors.

Back