Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I've been brewing for years and have made many starters but I've encountered a bit of a mystery. This week I made a Belgian Golden Ale starter with WPL570. As usual I used my stir plate to ferment the batch. Two days absolutely no krausen or evidence of foam. Never had this before so I assumed the yeast was bad and started over. The second batch was the same.

Is it possible to make a starter on a stir plate which does not exhibit any head or krausen but does produce a good starter?

The creamy color of fermentation is more reliable than krausen for a starter. Could be that 570 just isn't very vigorous so little krausen anyway.

570 is a stubborn yeast.
Looks like you're no stranger to starters so I presume all other variables are within range.
This strain is simply not known for taking off. If your starter is creamy (as posted above), I'd pull it after two days.

Thanks guys. I thought maybe it was okay because it was creamy after 48 hours. Next time I will save the liquor and check it's gravity. I started with 1.040 so it should be significantly less after 48 hours if all is well.

I just had not encountered this before and was caught flat footed so to speak.

Back