Starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I put some saved 007 into a starter on Wednesday and I just use the shake method and truth be told it's been about 60-70 deg on my main floor where I keep the starter. It just started throwing a Krausen yesterday and is still going today when I swirl it so I think maybe it was a slow start as the yeast was 4 months old and it got colder during the night but I'm just wondering how long would one expect such a small 1.5L starter to ferment like this before I think maybe theirs an infection and I say infection as while it smells like yeasty beer there's something there not phenolic or beligian but more like a white wine smell coming from it that I don't recall coming from my original starter when I had this 4 months ago. Maybe it was the higher ambient temps and now it's growing phenols idk I just want to be sure I don't infect my dipa that I'm about to dump 50$ into with grain and hops. Any thoughts.

Edit 4/24: I decided just to keep going with this and cold crashed the original starter and made the step up portion today of 2.5L. Smells fine like a yeasty malty starter and it kicked off in 2 hrs with a nice clean looking head. So looks like I just panicked per usual and looking forward to seeing how this 007 neipa turns out. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.

Give this one extra time if you suspect an infection. Keep the starter at room temperature after it ferments out for up to a week. By the end of a weeks time you should be able to tell if the aroma was just from the fermentation or a possible infection.

Give this one extra time if you suspect an infection. Keep the starter at room temperature after it ferments out for up to a week. By the end of a weeks time you should be able to tell if the aroma was just from the fermentation or a possible infection.

I was gonna brew Friday so I actually put this one in the fridge to cold crash because I have to step it up. I was just thinking to be safe of pulling out some 1318 I saved from two months ago and just making another starter with that just to be safe. I thought the 007 is ok and it could just be the English esters being thrown I'm just not 100% sure and since I had an infected starter two years ago but that was from poorly washed yeast and I haven't had one since, ruin two batches of beer I'm just slightly paranoid

I have never paid any attention to the smell of my starters. There are some yeasts that really smell disgusting to me.

IMO, temperature is not much of a deal with a starter. You are not concerned with making a good tasting beer - you are propagating yeast cells.

With the intermittent shake method I would ferment 36-48 hours. 18-24 on a stirplate.

I would also let the suspect starter sit at room temperature for a couple of days and see if a pellicle forms on the surface. Or that it smells really bad. As in rotten.

I think I used 007 before and found it finicky. I think I dumped it because it seemed infected. It might not have been.

I think that white wine smell is normal. Most of my starters have that as well.

Thanks for the reply. I think I may just wait it out and see if the next step up starter reveals anything. I think I'm just being paranoid for some reason.

I have never paid any attention to the smell of my starters. There are some yeasts that really smell disgusting to me.

IMO, temperature is not much of a deal with a starter. You are not concerned with making a good tasting beer - you are propagating yeast cells.

With the intermittent shake method I would ferment 36-48 hours. 18-24 on a stirplate.

I would also let the suspect starter sit at room temperature for a couple of days and see if a pellicle forms on the surface. Or that it smells really bad. As in rotten.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm just being paranoid. I do remember the one infected starter I did have I'll never forget had this really disgusting looking Krausen to it that even at the time when I was new to making starters didn't look right to me. Krausen on this one looks fine but that may not mean anything.

If you're spending the money on a nice sounding DIPA, why short change yourself with possibly less than vital 4-month old yeast? I'd personally spend the money on fresh healthy yeast pitch & starter if I was $50 deep into a DIPA. Good luck!

If you're spending the money on a nice sounding DIPA, why short change yourself with possibly less than vital 4-month old yeast? I'd personally spend the money on fresh healthy yeast pitch & starter if I was $50 deep into a DIPA. Good luck!

The price is a consideration. Maybe brew up a simple APA for that yeast and get some fresh yeast for the expensive DIPA.

Latest posts

Back