Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splat

Reaction score
Ok, Ive never made a starter before...Ive been using white labs yeast, and I just shake it up and pitch it in....Here are my questions.

1. Can I make a starter in a 2 liter plastic pop bottle with "new" yeast, and only use 2/3 of it, then pour the rest into sanitized jars to save for more starters later?

2. What gravity, and how much DME should I use for 2 liters...I was planning on just mixing it up first and taking a hydro, then boiling it for 15 minutes, then cooling it and pitching...

3. Air lock, or Tinfoil on the top of the bottle?

4. Should I wait til I get no more bubbles to pitch, or do I want to pitch after a day when its bubbling well?

Thats all I can think of right now....Thanks in advance.

1. Yes just make sure there is only sanitized water mixed in with it.
2. MY starters I usually dont take a reading on..the one I did though was 1.05
3.Airlock or sanitized plastic wrap and a rubber band I like.
4. I step most of my starters up pretty big, so usually its still feasting pretty well when I pitch

I'd say you make a bigger starter using the whole packet, then save off a bigger portion of that starter for later. You can always re-start that saved starter...but it will already be bigger in volume and your lag time will be less.

BierMuncher said:
I'd say you make a bigger starter using the whole packet, then save off a bigger portion of that starter for later. You can always re-start that saved starter...but it will already be bigger in volume and your lag time will be less.

when I said i would use 2/3, I meant use 2/3 of the starter...I would use all of the yeast I bought to make the starter, then only use 2/3 of that starter to pitch with...then take 1/3 to save....does this make sence?

when I said i would use 2/3, I meant use 2/3 of the starter...I would use all of the yeast I bought to make the starter, then only use 2/3 of that starter to pitch with...then take 1/3 to save....does this make sence?
This should be just fine, just save it in a sterilized container in the fridge.

splat said:
2. What gravity, and how much DME should I use for 2 liters...I was planning on just mixing it up first and taking a hydro, then boiling it for 15 minutes, then cooling it and pitching...

I have read that starters should be between 1.030 and 1.040 in gravity

The formula for starters that I got from "The Pope" is 1 gram DME for every 10 ml of wort. I has worked very well and is easy to calculate.

Back