Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshpooh

Reaction score
I have always used dry yeast so I am new to making starters. Probably should have done some reading before I jumped into it, but I thought I remembered how from previous reading.

Anyway what I did was boiled DME with hops chilled it to 75 degrees, placed in a growler and pitched the liquid yeast into it. I used a stopper and an airlock as a closure (just as if I was fermenting a very small batch of beer. The growler is one half gallon capacity and the starter is about half of that. It has been 24 hours and I see lots of Krausen, but no airlock activity. I am just wondering if there should be airlock activity or not. Or if I went about doing this all wrong. I tried using the search feature on here with no luck.

if you see a krausen, you're absolutely fine. you shouldn't really even use an airlock, you should use aluminum foil...it allows for better aeration. shake that sucker up everyone once in a while for the next day, too, for aeration and to keep the yeast in suspension :mug:

you may have used too big a vessel, but as long as you sanitized everything i'd say you're gold!

Back