Starter Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
So it is general practice when making a starter to continue to add oxygen throughout the fermentation through a stir plate or intermittent shaking.

Now my question is when adding the starter to wort does this have the potential of introducing off flavors due to the oxygenation of the starter wort?

I know some people decant their starters and pitch just the yeast slurry, but others pitch at high kreusen, so is there a risk of off flavors here or is this a non issue?

Lots'a debate on this one. I personally pitch the entire 1L starter at high krausen. Granted, I sniff it first to make sure it doesn't smell off. Haven't had one smell odd yet. If so, I guess I'd chill and decant it.

I prefer to decant and pitch only the slurry. A lot depends on what style you are brewing. It shouldn't much matter in most dark ales, but for the lighter styles I like to keep them as clean as possible. I frequently step up my starters two or three times to insure a big slug of slurry to pitch. There's no one size fits all answer to this question.

Back