Starter Question - Small amount of Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a 1.09 beer and wanted to make a starter. I had 1 vial of yeast that had a 'best buy' date of about 1 week ago. Went ahead and picked up a fresh vial of the same yeast. I boiled the DME for 10 minutes and made sure my starter wort was right at 1.04 OG (actually was right on, as in, I didn't have to add water). I think the only thing that went wrong was I forgot to add the yeast nutrient until after the wort was cooled.

I know the starter kicked off because it was bubbling a lot and I saw the evidence of krauzen on the top of the flask. I do not have a stirrer but I shake it every 1 to 2 hours.

My question is that I do not see too much yeast on the bottom of the flask. At least not as much as I would expect from 2 vials of yeast. The starter beer is still pretty hazy so I am not sure if a lot of the yeast is still in suspension or not.

So my question is, do I wait? Or do I just go ahead and decant and go with it? Should I not decant in case some yeast is still in suspension? It is close to 2000mL so it seems like a lot to put in my beer and I am worried about creating "off flavors".

This is the biggest starter I have made and usually I just throw it all in. But because of the volume I am wondering.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

How long ago did you make the starter? 2000ml is a good amount of starter for the yeast to chew on... it may take a while for them to settle out.

I made the starter Friday night. So about 36 hours ago. It is actually about 1700mL but I thought since I put 2 vials of liquid yeast, it would be ok.

It should be fine. That older yeast would have been fine to make a starter with, although depending on it's health it may have been necessary to do it in two stages.

Back