Starter Overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ox45

Reaction score
So I was making a starter. I originally tossed in one smack pack into 3L of wort, let it go and crashed. Decanted off the spent wort and put in about 1.75L of new wort. Well I woke up this morning to a puddle of sticky yeast and wort and the tinfoil cap had been pushed completely off. Am I OK to still use this with the tinfoil being off potentially the entire night? Also, should I re-step it up a little to account for the lost yeast in the overflow?

Thanks!

You could cold crash it to get an idea if how much yeast was lost.

Next time, why not try pouring most of the yeast into a 2nd container and build up a 2nd new starter?

Might just have to do that next time! I'm just surprised the 3L didn't overflow, but the 2L volcanoed!

Should I worry about infection with the cap being off all night?

I don't think so. I've had a similar thing happened and decided what the heck and used it, which produced a nice beer. I think you're ok b/c the alcohol that was created in the starter would have killed off the bacteria that could have infected the wort. Also, I've come to learn that infections are rare; so long as you are reasonable with sanitation, infections are rare. Yeast is a pretty tough animal; tougher than humans.

It volcanoed because there was significantly more yeast attacking the fresh wort. It's kinda like doing another batch on top of a yeast cake.

Back