Starter or no starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
Is it necessary to make a starter when using a wyeast activator smack pack that contains 100 billion yeast cells?

Smack packs are ok for beers up to SG of ~1.040-1.050, anything higher and a starter is recommended.

You also have to tkae freshness into account, if it is a new pack, it can probably do higher SG fine, but if it has been on the shelf for 6+months, you never know

How much in advance should I make the starter and easiest way to make one from a activator pack?

You would be best served by using a starter. I recently starting using them, and wouldn't go back to not using one. It will work without a starter, but it will work 100x better with one.

After making a starter I noticed in pictures the yeast settles to the bottom with a remaining liquid wort on top do u stir it up and pitch the whole contents or pour off the liquid and just pitch the yeast sediment?

I did two different beers this weekend, a Kolsch and a wheat beer. The kolsch I used a starter and man the fermentation was HUGE. The air lock has slowed alot now 36 hours into it. The wheat beer had dry yeast pitched right on the wort and it is still bubbling away slowly. I think the starter makes for a better fermentation... IMO

After making a starter I noticed in pictures the yeast settles to the bottom with a remaining liquid wort on top do u stir it up and pitch the whole contents or pour off the liquid and just pitch the yeast sediment?

Personally I usually pitch the whole thing.

Every liquid yeast pack i have ever used says make a starter... even one with 100 billion cells in it

cheers

That's a matter of faith. I decant if there is a good line of delineation between the yeast and wort. If it's still kinda indistinct I pitch most or all of it.

Starters are the way to go. I make a one liter starter no matter what the OG (ok, i only make beers that are above 1.050, if i wanted light beer i would buy it.... ) Anyways, starters get things off on the right foot.

You only need to rehydrate dry yeast(luke warm water for like 10-15 minutes), Liquid yeast "need" starters. I say "Need" because according to their website, they say the activator pack doesn't need one. However, the best quote I ever read on HBT about whether to make a starter or not was something along the lines of "Would you rather send 100 soldiers into a battle or 100,000"?

Is it necessary to make a starter when using a wyeast activator smack pack that contains 100 billion yeast cells?

Per the Wyeast website the activator smack pack is designed to be pitched directly into the wort. The propagator smack pack is designed to be used in a starter. Both are designed for brews with an OG of 1.060 or less.

IMHO, liquid yeasts and starters are not required unless you are brewing a specialty beer such as a wheat or Big Belgian. I use only dry yeasts now. I use either Nottingham or SafAle US-05.

The topic of whether or not liquid yeasts are necessary is debatable. There is more flexibility for flavor profiles with liquid yeasts however dry yeasts are easier to store, easier to use, they are cheaper and don't require starters.

The SafAle US-05 is designed to be pitched right into the wort. Nottingham should be rehydrated per the instructions on the package. Personally, I have pitched Nottingham directly into the wort and had the exact same results as I did by rehydrating. Both SafAle US-05 and Nottingham will ferment as rapidly and as agressively as any liquid yeast.

The short answer is that all of the processes will work. Very few are required and they all make beer.

Back