Starter. Or New Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
I have three packs of White Labs yeast 001, 029 and 568 that got up to 60 debrees in my frig due to a power failure. I have never made a starter but was told I should out of the yeast but will that work and am I taking a chance on not enough cell count. My gut tells me to buy new packs . Being new to homebrewing I will have to by the equipment for making a starter. Your thoughts?

How long was it stored at 60F? If only for a few hours it should be fine. Making a starter will increase cell count to help assure enough cell count for a batch. I would definitely make a starter given the concern about storage. It’s best practice to make a starter for anything of moderate to high OG anyway. It’s not difficult to do and will give you a better fermentation.

60°F at the end of a few hours clearly isn't going to harm yeast that actually do their fermentation thing even warmer :)
No reason to do anything about that now, I'd let 'em chill until a few days before needed and do a starter then, just like usual practice - which is to always make a starter when using liquid yeast.

Hint: buy a flask :)

Cheers!

Back