Starter or just use the dry yeast with kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I enjoy this forum, lots of good info. I have brewed one time before and it was a failed attempt. It was a Bass Clone from Midwest, the failure was from too high fermentation temperatures (75-80 degrees F), the beer tasted like medicine or maybe a "bandaid" as some describe it. My second attempt will be a Hex nut Brown kit from midwest, I opted for the wyeast 1056 "smack pack" but didn't realize that extra DME was required to make a starter. I was hoping that the liquid yeast would make the beer better than the dry, but can I just pour the smack pack into the fermenter after the pack swells or should I just hold on to it for the next time and order some DME? What type DME do you use for starter? Thanks in advance for any help.

Assuming your starting gravity isn't too high, you'll probably be okay pitching straight from the swollen smackpack, especially if it swells well and quickly (indicating good yeast health). A starter will improve your beer, but in a lot of cases it isn't a necessity.

It's typically done with a light DME, in order to minimise the impact on your beer. There are great starter instructions on the wiki

Just aerate really really well, keep the fermentation temperatures under control and you ought to be fine.

According to the kit instructions, the starting gravity should be 1.042 - 1.046, I am guessing that that will be ok for pitching the smack pack?

You might have a little longer to wait before fermentation starts with just the smack pack, but it will work. I have only been using starters for the last few batches. Before that ALL I used was the smack pack.

You can use any DME you want, but you should pick one that either is similar to what your beer has in it or one that will impact the taste the least. Good luck and happy brewing.

According to the kit instructions, the starting gravity should be 1.042 - 1.046, I am guessing that that will be ok for pitching the smack pack?

In general, the higher the gravity the more important a starter is, so it's good news that you've got a fairly low SG (1042-46).

Wyeast draws the starter/no-starter line at 1.060, although most brewers around here draw it significantly lower.

Once I got rolling I started buying extra light DME or whitey tighty DME or whatever the lightest colored DME is, so I could make a starter for anything.

If you use XX light DME for a starter for a stout, it is all good. If you try to use XXX dark DME for a starter for a pilsner, you have a problem.

I make a starter for every batch unless the recipe specifically forbids it.

You got two question here really.

A good sized pitch of dry yeast can run your temp up so high you taste bandaids. So can a good sized pitch of liquid yeast.

Controlling your ferment temp is at least and possibly more important than selecting a yeast. Sounds like, for now, you need a colder place to park your fermenter.

Poindexter, you’re absolutely correct on controlling the fermentation temps. The room I used is not climate controlled and unfortunately gets very hot in the summer (when I tried to brew my first batch). Now that the winter is here, I have been monitoring the temperature of the room and looks good, (62-70 degrees) so hopefully this one will turn out better. Thanks for everyone’s advice!

Latest posts

Back