Starter Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I have brewed one beer, it smells like it should, it tastes a little weak when I bottled it, but it is done. Now on to something a little more interesting and to clean up a few of the many mistakes.

The beer I want to make calls for a yeast starter. The problem is I didn't leave enough time make the starter. I am using a smack yeast pack and it is supposed to sit for two days before it is pitched to the starter. Just trying to follow directions.

I have a window to do the boil on tuesday and I just bought the yeast today. I have activated the yeast.

The question is, am I better off just using the packet on tuesday knowing it will take longer for fermentation to start, or split the difference and start the starter after passover dinner tomorrow evening. I will not have any time before dinner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've never used the smack packs, only the white labs vials, so take this with a grain of salt. I would probably go ahead an make the starter - you'll be amazed at what just 24 hours can do for you. At the very least you'll have a nice active culture to pitch.

Btw, I didn't think you were allowed to use yeast during Passover :)

Btw, I didn't think you were allowed to use yeast during Passover :)

Depends on if you are orthodox or reform. We are reform, so we eat correctly all week, but we can decide what rules we want to follow. I figure as long as I don't eat any of it I''m ok.

Thanks for your help. I made the starter, the yeast had expanded to fill the packet so I just decided to go for it. And, it is already active in the starter bottle. :)

raymadigan said:
Depends on if you are orthodox or reform. We are reform, so we eat correctly all week, but we can decide what rules we want to follow. I figure as long as I don't eat any of it I''m ok.

Thanks for your help. I made the starter, the yeast had expanded to fill the packet so I just decided to go for it. And, it is already active in the starter bottle. :)

Good luck with the brew. Happy Passover!

I have brewed one beer, it smells like it should, it tastes a little weak when I bottled it, but it is done. Now on to something a little more interesting and to clean up a few of the many mistakes.

The beer I want to make calls for a yeast starter. The problem is I didn't leave enough time make the starter. I am using a smack yeast pack and it is supposed to sit for two days before it is pitched to the starter. Just trying to follow directions.

I have a window to do the boil on tuesday and I just bought the yeast today. I have activated the yeast.

The question is, am I better off just using the packet on tuesday knowing it will take longer for fermentation to start, or split the difference and start the starter after passover dinner tomorrow evening. I will not have any time before dinner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would like to know the recipe. Regardless, one smack pack will not do. The reason for smacking the package is to proof it, or assure viability. It does not really do much more. If you can't make a starter, then use multiple packages. Again, if I knew the recipe/style, I can determine how many packages of yeast you need.

Back