Starter not starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a starter last night for my brew session this Saturday. Boiled 4oz DME in 1 qt water for 10 minutes. (and a little yeast nutrient) Chilled starter to about 65degrees and pitched the yeast. I am using White Labs WLP800...Pilsner Lager yeast. Put the flask on my stir plate with a stir bar and let it stir away.

24 hours later, the starter has done nothing. The airlock has not moved at all. The ambiant air temperature of the room is about 62degrees. The Best Before date on the White Labs vial is May 2008 and it has been kept in a refrigerator for as long as I can tell.

Do you think the yeast is no good, or the room temperature too cold? Or did I not wait long enough? If it does not take off before the weekend, I will have to pitch dry lager yeast for a schwarzbier and I would rather use liquid yeast.

Any thoughts.

What is the date on the yeast vile?
I recently used a vile of WLP830 that was close to its use by date, the starter took 3-4 days to get going. Granted i wasnt using a stir plate.

Back