Starter issue? Yeast settled on bottom a little early.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petry121

Reaction score
Sorry if there is another thread answering this question. But I made a starter last night with wlp001 and I noticed the yeast settled a little early.... Like this morning. It smells fine. Has anyone else had this issue. Did I not aerate enough?

Sorry if there is another thread answering this question. But I made a starter last night with wlp001 and I noticed the yeast settled a little early.... Like this morning. It smells fine. Has anyone else had this issue. Did I not aerate enough?

Is the yeast layer visible and thicker than yesterday? If so, you're fine. You can also check the gravity of the spent wort to see if it fermented out. Starters can often finish growth overnight.

Swirl swirl swirl got it. The yeast layer does look a little thicker. I have it in a 2000 ml erlinmyer. Thanks!

I am actually having the same issue with a wlp830 german lager I started last night. It is my 1st lager so I am not sure what signs of fermentation I should look for. I know I didnt miss the krausen, I woke up a lot to check it. I have been swirling all day/night but the mixture looks the same. The sediment is thicker today so I think it is on the right track. My question is we are supposed to refridgerate after 24 hrs but how do you know if its ready? It doesnt seem like the mixture has cleared any and I hate to stop active fermentation if I cannot see it? Any advice?

Latest posts

Back