Starter interrupted..........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamdad

Reaction score
I began a yeast starter for an AHS kit yesterday afternoon w/ every intention of brewing today. Unfortunately, something has come up that will force me to postpone brewing until at least Wed. Did I mention I already have a starter going?

My question is: What do I do w/ my starter? Can I let it go a bit longer to get the population up and then fridge it to shut it down until before I brew later this week? What I'd like to do is bring it back to room temp when I'm ready to go and then kick in a little mini-starter to get it going again.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Can I let it go a bit longer to get the population up and then fridge it to shut it down until before I brew later this week?

Yes. Exactly. Think of it as a giant White Labs tube... a really giant one.

I'm doing just that - I made a 1200mL starter of Dusseldorf Alt yeast yesterday morning.... then I realized this AM, as I was getting ready to brew, that I bought 10 gal's worth of pre-crushed pre-mixed ingredients, but was only planning on brewing a 5 gal batch today! (Too tired to do 10g today, it's HOT outside!)

So I'm running mine 24 hours longer, then tucking it into the fridge for the week. I'll pull it out Friday AM to bring back up to temp, pitch more starter wort Friday PM, and then hopefully it'll be at high krausen Saturday daytime, as I'm brewing.

Back