Starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
I need your help... I made a starter yesterday to brew tomorrow (Sat). I went off the instruction on the wiki with making a 1 pint starter.

I just realized I should have made a 1.69 quart starter, so Im a little shy of my yeast count.

Should I just make a new 1.69 quart starter and add the pint thats already done or should I make the difference between the two (a 1.1875 quart starter)?

Thanks

Just step up your current starter, decant off the wort then step that bad boy up! You will in all likelyhood be fine just pitching what you have though, unless you're brewing a really big beer.

Not really big (1.055) would it hurt to just add the wort/yeast I already have? It'sonly been going a day.

IMHO you should be fine to add what you already have. Your fermentation just won't take off quite as quickly as it would have if you used the bigger starter, the yeasties will be busy making more of their buddies to get the job done for a little while, that's all.

Back