Starter from old yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
I have keys that I have used into previous batches. It has been in the fridge for the last four months and I want to make a starter. This is what it looks like:

image-1829048700.jpg

That is a 1 gallon jug. Should I use all of it to make a starter or part of it? Thoughts?

4 months is fine, though I'm not sure the effect of the amount of trub you have in there on the yeast's viability. I've read that it can have a negative effect, but I really can't speak from experience. I've used washed yeast that was sitting in the fridge for over 7 months in a starter, and despite a longer lag time before showing signs of life on the stir plate, it performed just fine given adequate time. I did a 500mL starter stepped up to a 1.25L starter, just to make sure I had enough viable cells.

But, if that's just a common strain such as S-05 and it will only cost about $2 to use a new packet I would just go ahead and jump for fresh yeast.

that layer on top looks like yeast - wash it, make a starter and when you decant to step up, taste the beer...

The yeast is Pacman so I would like to try to use it again as it us currently unavailable. Sooooo the top sediment is the yeast........ I have had a lot of trouble in the past separating the yeast from the trub and wort - suggestions/tricks??

I'd pour a half gallon of sterile water in the jug and shake it all up good. Then after 30 minutes pour off a pint of the liquid. Then add a flask of .5L starter to the poured liquid. IDK:cross:

i just made a 3L starter from a couple small jars of wyeast 2112 from October 23, 2011

started quickly and was very visibly active on the stir plate

4 months is not too old at all if you are making a starter

i played around with mr malty using washed yeast to get an idea of how many viable cells i had then played around with the starter calculator to figure out what size i'd need based on viable cells

Wash that yeast. I would wash the yeast which will give you at least enough to do 3 5 gal. Runs of beer. Use the sticky on how to wash yeast or simply follow what others have commented on here. So the answer is no you will not be using the whole thing for one 5 gal. Run.

Back