Starter for White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerRedhawk

Reaction score
I have some White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast, it's been in the fridge for 6 months. I should make a starter to use this I assume right? I've made edwort's recipe previously using montrachet dry yeast, wanted to try this stuff, but just am getting around to it now.

If I do a starter should I just use applejuice and brown sugar like in my recipe, or use DME instead?

Also, with montrachet I was able to almost fill the carboy, because the stuff didn't foam up or anything, will I have different results with this yeast? I don't want a blow off.

If I do a starter should I just use applejuice and brown sugar like in my recipe, or use DME instead?

I wouldn't add anything that isn't already in your recipe. Apple juice at room temperature (72 degrees or higher) should be fine. I see no need to add sugar. Just mix it in and let it sit for an hour, and the yeast will do their thing. The process is aided if you use a stir plate.

I wouldn't add anything that isn't already in your recipe. Apple juice at room temperature (72 degrees or higher) should be fine. I see no need to add sugar. Just mix it in and let it sit for an hour, and the yeast will do their thing. The process is aided if you use a stir plate.

Ok, brown sugar is in my recipe. Will I benefit from doing a starter in this situation compared to just pitching it into the carboy?

6 month old liquid yeast, I would make a starter to ensure yeast health and cell count.... might not hurt to add a little yeast nutrient to the start too. Target a gravity of 1.040 for the starter. I find it best to make your starter with what ever the yeast will be fermenting so they are used to that type of sugar.

6 month old liquid yeast, I would make a starter to ensure yeast health and cell count.... might not hurt to add a little yeast nutrient to the start too. Target a gravity of 1.040 for the starter. I find it best to make your starter with what ever the yeast will be fermenting so they are used to that type of sugar.

Thank you. I will do this over the weekend hopefully.

Back