Starter for Dry Yeast?? Brewing outdoors??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Two quick questions:

I am brewing my two first kits from Northern Brewer, Irish Ale (Dry Yeast Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum Temp 57-70) and a Scottish 80 Shilling (Safbrew S-33 Optimum 59-75). The question is, I have since been reminded most people don't use starters for dry yeast, they pitch two packs. I had read that, but with all the reading it escaped my mind. Can I just go ahead and pitch one pack OK (re-hydrated), or do I need to make a starter? If so, is there a way to make a starter with something found around the house (sugar maybe?). I've done placed my order and don't want to pay shipping again. Also, can you just make it in a covered bowl (I don't have a jug with fitting plug and air lock).

The other question refers to brewing outside. I am assuming there are more possibilities for infection out there. I have ordered a "Blowtorch type" burner that's adjustable and a 7 1/2 gal stainless pot and wort chiller and will be doing full extract boils. Are there any precautions I should take?

Oh, one other thing. It regards aerating the wort. I am using glass carboys as fermenters. Since you really can't fill up one of these and shake it and you have a relatively small hole your pouring through, how do you slosh your wort around?

Bill :mug:

Don't make a starter with any modern dry yeast. They are produced with built-in nutrition reserves, and using a starter will do more harm than good.

One packet is more than adequate for a typical 5 gallon batch. If you're going to rehydrate, check the manufacturer's website and follow their instructions to the letter. They are very specific regarding temperature and volume, and straying from them will again do more harm than good. Personally, I seldom rehydrate dry yeast, and it always takes off, fast and furious.

I used to use glass carboys, and just held tight and shook...made me nervous as hell! Now I use Better Bottles, and I shake em' up like nobody's business, it's good aerobic exercise! Others use aeration stones, in combination with an aquarium pump or an oxygen bottle.

You'll love the Northern Brewer Scotch 80 Shilling kit, I'm enjoying a pint right now. (Although I used Wyeast 1728 for my batch.)

As long as the yeast pack is 10 grams or larger, one pack is all you need for 5-6 gallons of wort. Some packs like coopers or Muntons are only 5 grams, you'll want to double those.

Under pitching leads to interesting phenolics, not necessarily desirable. (Saf 33 though will give you more of a Belgian profile if slightly under pitched - see "Brew like a Monk")

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people brew outside. Just keep stuff from falling in with less than 5 minutes left in the boil. Cover during cooling.

Back