Starter for a big beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
So I'm doing my first "Big Beer" this weekend.
It's an Imperial IPA with an estimated OG of 1.096.
I'm using Wyeast 1056 with yeast nutrient, a shot of pure O2 and intermittent shaking.
Using Mr.Malty's calculator, it says I will need a 1.56L starter w/ 2 smack packs.
Now usually I make my starter on Thursday evening for a Saturday afternoon brew session.
But, since this is such a bigger beer then I usually brew, I was wondering if I should do anything extra or different this time to get the yeast prepared

No - make your 1.5 L starter with one smack pack two days prior. You will be fine. Two smack packs is a waste of money.

afr0byte said:
I'd have to disagree, unless he's going to do stepped starter instead.

A good reason supporting your opinion would be nice for the OP. I've never had problems with high gravity beers using the advice I just gave.

Wyeast recommends tripling pitch rates - http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r24

Just two doublings will quadruple the pitch rate. I think it's safe to assume a 2 day starter will work especially when it has worked in the past for other people.

A good reason supporting your opinion would be nice for the OP. I've never had problems with high gravity beers using the advice I just gave.

Wyeast recommends tripling pitch rates - http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r24

Just two doublings will quadruple the pitch rate. I think it's safe to assume a 2 day starter will work especially when it has worked in the past for other people.

Right, but he's only going to get one doubling with the setup you describe. Just letting it go longer does nothing in the absence of nutrients.

Anyway, Hophead, if you want to save yourself $8, just make a 1.5L starter 4 days ahead of time. Let it go overnight. Cold crash the next day and then put 1.5L of fresh wort in there. You'll have the pitch rate recommended by professional brewers and all you did was add an extra day to your starter prep times. In the future a stir plate would be a great addition for big beer starters like that.

Back