Starter Emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
So I made a starter intending to brew today before I left for a 2 week break. Turns out I had more things to do than I had planned, and won't have time to brew today. The starter is still going, what can I do with it? Is it wasted? I would hate to let 7 bucks of yeast just go down the tubes. Please help me out with your eternal wisdom!

When are you going to be able to brew? If it is the next few days, and your starter is closed, you will be fine...you may then want to decant some of the starter beer off it before pitching, if you didn't add a hop pellet or two the beer on top might be a little sour, so pour most of it off. But the yeast will be fine.

I won't be back for two weeks, so I feel like I might kinda be screwed. Could I decant the liquid now and put it back int he vial if i sanitized it?

I won't be back for two weeks, so I feel like I might kinda be screwed. Could I decant the liquid now and put it back int he vial if i sanitized it?

Follow the basic idea here, but on a smaller scale..get a couple of glass jars and do a mini yeast wash and jar it. I'm actually doing that tonight. I harvested some yeast from a bunch of hoegaarden bottles and grew up a big starter, but not planning to use it for awhile, so I am going to jar it up and stick it in my fridge...I figure I got enough for two jars worth.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

I'm going to decant the beer away, and wash it with sterile water and fill the jars with it.

Back