Starter Didn't Start, Pitched Another Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to reusing yeast. I had previously harvested some Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) from a pale ale I brewed back in September. I used this method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/yeast-washing-illustrated.41768/ and put the four jars in the fridge. I brewed another beer with Wyeast 1272 around the middle of October, and used the same method.

A few days ago, I made a 2000 ml starter for the 1056. I saw no activity for about two days, then a very small krausen formed. I've been shaking/swirling my starters, and am used to the CO2 rush I hear when I shake it up a bit. I couldn't hear or feel the CO2 coming off the starter when I shook it. So, I pitched the newer 1272 into the starter, and I saw lots of activity within 12 hours.

Now that I've done it, my question is this: Is the mix of yeast going to make any recipe hard to duplicate in the future? I know the yeasts are similar, but lately I've been focused primarily on consistency between brews. Thanks in advance.

I don’t think so. I would experiment though. Save some bottles from this batch. Then brew it again with a fresh 1056 and brew another batch with fresh 1272. Then have a taste test with some friends. You could also brew a fourth one with a mix of the 1056 and 1272 and compare it to the first batch. My guess is the difference will be negligible, but there should be some difference in the solo 1056 and solo 1272.

Latest posts

Back