Started to go all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I want to start moving towards all grain brewing. I found a rubbermaid 6.5 gallon cooler in my basement.

Is 6.5 gallon a big enough cooler?? If not I currently am completing a stovetop partial mash is it possible to just include a MLT in the process and call it a day?

Also, do I need to buy some type of conversion kit for my cooler with some type of valve??? or can I get away with placing a grain bag in the MLT and just using the button to release the liquid?

What size of cooler do you recommend that would suite for mini-mash and also for AG?

I am going to do partial mash (to get some knowledge about mashing, sparging, temp. control etc) and likely after few batches I"m gonna try AG.
My though was to make one that will suite both processes (I mostly brew 5-7 gall), and I know that its recommended size of ~10 gall for AG, but that will probably be over-sized for mini-mash..

I made a 2 gallon mlt out of a coleman water jug when I got into PM brews. Didn't bother with any manifold, just used a grain bag that slid into it like a sock. It was a good introduction into the mashing process and set me back about 12 bucks. When I went AG, I had the basic process down and my first AG took a Blue Ribbon in the APA category.

Back