Started my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorbrew713

Reaction score
Got a True Brew Equipment Kit from Santa, and a True Brew German Style Light Ingredient Kit from the son and daughter in law. Finally, a week later, I got everything together and started my first attempt at home brewing. So far, everything seemed to go pretty well. Takes a long time to get the wort temp down though. (A quick question from some experienced brewers - is a wort cooler worth the investment?)

Hope to soon see bubbling in the air lock and a month or so from now to be drinking some good beer. Wish me luck! :mug:

:rockin: congrats on the first brew! now comes the waiting......

a wort chiller is a good idea. but i've been able to get from boil to pitching temps pretty quickly by placing the kettle in an ice bath, though a wort chiller should do it even more quickly.

(A quick question from some experienced brewers - is a wort cooler worth the investment?)

without a doubt. I'm not sure if you are doing full boils or partial boils, but if you are doing full boils or plan on doing them in a future, a wort chiller is a must. congrats on your first brew!

I used the ice bath for my first brew. It worked ok. For the second, built a simple immersion chiller the plans shared here in the forum. It was an easy build and cooled the wort in half the time, of course it helps have 45 degree water coming out of the tap.

In addition to the ice bath I boil and then freeze a couple of quarts of water in sanitized containers - stir and dump the ice blocks in, cools to pitching temp in about 15 minutes, for a 3 gal boil.....

In addition to the ice bath I boil and then freeze a couple of quarts of water in sanitized containers - stir and dump the ice blocks in, cools to pitching temp in about 15 minutes, for a 3 gal boil.....

yah, that works well too. just make sure those bottles and the water/ice inside is clean clean clean.

Back