Started fermenting at too low a temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakfri

Vegetable beef
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed up a batch of Marzen. I pitched a 2 liter starter of Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest lager blend when the wart was about 60 to 65 degrees and then placed it in my beer fridge. I looked this morning and still see zero activity in the air lock. I started thinking that I may have set the inkbird at 44 degrees instead of the 54 degrees the recipe calls for. I will definitely check as soon as I get home from work. This is the first time I have tried lagering. What are the consequences if I did set my temp too high? Or am I just worrying and lagers just take longer to get going?

Was the starter the same temp as the wort? Lager takes a tad longer then ales. I believe my Oktoberfest started going in about 30 hours . Did you oxygenate the wort really good ?

Was the starter the same temp as the wort? Lager takes a tad longer then ales. I believe my Oktoberfest started going in about 30 hours . Did you oxygenate the wort really good ?

The starter was close to the same temp. I ran out of O2 but did get a little in there. Those bottles don't last as long as I thought they would. I will see if I have activity by tonight. Hopefully I'm worrying for nothing.

Having a bottle of o2 would be nice . I shake the crap out of em. Would be easier on the back lol. I dont know how much o2 you were able to get in but if you didnt shake or stir really aggressive then the lack of aerating might be the issue.

I checked when I got home and the fridge is at the right temp and airlock bubbling away. I guess I panicked. Thank you for the replies. We'll see how it turns out.

Back