Started fermentation in my glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinisterdeer

Reaction score
Hey so started my 1st batch of beer however i have it fermenting in my 5gal. Glass carboy rather then my 6gal. Primary fermenter... is this going to cause major issues? Should I buy another glass carboy for racking?

If you are making a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy, yes that will cause issues. If it's a smaller batch, probably not. You need headspace for the yeast to rise into (krausen) or you will have quite a mess. I would recommend you rack off about 1/2 a gallon into another container and use a length of tubing and a small container of star San, vodka or just water as a "blowoff tube". This time tomorrow, fermentation will likely be pretty vigorous and will likely shoot right out of the typical beginner airlock if there isn't enough headspace.

Be very careful with the glass. Serious injuries come from broken glass carboys. Plastic or stainless are much safer. Search this forum for a compendium of reasons to avoid glass :no:

If you are making a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy, yes that will cause issues. If it's a smaller batch, probably not. You need headspace for the yeast to rise into (krausen) or you will have quite a mess. I would recommend you rack off about 1/2 a gallon into another container and use a length of tubing and a small container of star San, vodka or just water as a "blowoff tube". This time tomorrow, fermentation will likely be pretty vigorous and will likely shoot right out of the typical beginner airlock if there isn't enough headspace.

Be very careful with the glass. Serious injuries come from broken glass carboys. Plastic or stainless are much safer. Search this forum for a compendium of reasons to avoid glass :no:

I started this brew Saturday. I'd say its about 4 to 4.5 gallons. Earlier today I noticed foam was getting into the airlock so I did hook up my blow-off tube. Should I still rack of some? And I really appreciate the help!!

Back