Started a new batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnman68

Reaction score
I started a new batch of apple cider this morning, so every one keep your fingers crossed. Oh yeah I didn't use any sugar. But I am really confused right now.I used a hydrometer, thinking I would get a reading of about 110. But when I looked it was a 105 reading.What happened? I must have screwed up somewhere,you think? If any one has any clues I would appreciate knowing where I went wrong. I didn't know I could screw up something so much, with out even trying,does that real easy with other brews ?

mtnman

Agree with Maylar, no need to worry that's a perfect place to be to start. Seems like everyone tend to add a bunch of sugar which normally only ups the final alcohol level. While I do this myself when the occasion calls for it, it is nice to have some normal strength drinking cider around.

Agreed. I just started a cider about 2 weeks ago. I only used apple juice/soft cider for it and it came out to 1.052 as well. That's pretty much what you would expect for apple juice. The cider I did before that I added some brown sugar and it came out to around 1.061, I believe.

1.100 could potentially get you as high as 13% alcohol. 1.05 is going to get you closer to 6.5% alcohol, which is much better in my opinion.

I started a new batch of apple cider this morning, so every one keep your fingers crossed. Oh yeah I didn't use any sugar. But I am really confused right now.I used a hydrometer, thinking I would get a reading of about 110. But when I looked it was a 105 reading.What happened? I must have screwed up somewhere,you think? If any one has any clues I would appreciate knowing where I went wrong. I didn't know I could screw up something so much, with out even trying,does that real easy with other brews ?

mtnman

I finished my second batch this morning, it sure looked pretty and clear. Tasted great,nice and sweet. Only there was one problem, it was sweet cider, no kick at all,zero, zilch, none, nada.How did I screw this batch up???
It must have been easy,because I didn't even try to mess it up. Was it because I did not use any sugar? I was so proud of myself, it looked so pretty. O well I am not going to give up, I just finished starting a new batch this afternoon, I applied sugar 2 cups to it this time, I would like to reach a happy medium this time. not too much alcohol, and just about 6 or 7 %. Oh well I will bet there is a lot of apple juice or cider, I will keep trying until I get it right or my better half runs me off.

mtnman68

I wonder if you are using apple juice with some other ingredients than Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid? If any other ingredients or preservatives on the label then your yeast will not likely ferment the apple juice.

What was your final gravity on the cider?

If you didn't add any sweeteners to the original cider, and it still tastes sweet....sounds like it didn't finish fermenting. Which might explain the lack of alcohol you descibe.

I finished my second batch this morning, it sure looked pretty and clear. Tasted great,nice and sweet. Only there was one problem, it was sweet cider, no kick at all,zero, zilch, none, nada.How did I screw this batch up???

Did you forget to add yeast? :confused:

We'd like to know your start and finish gravities please. You can't ferment cider and have no alcohol at the end. As a minimum, measure the SG now and report back.

Actually, if you don't add any sugar to apple juice, you should get between 6% and 7% alcohol. Depending on how much sugar you add, your potential sugar could increase from 7% all the way up to 14 or 15%.

If you're using apple juice with preservatives, then it's not going to ferment. I mean, that's why they put preservatives in the apple juice in the first place. People don't want to be drinking apple juice to find that it's started to ferment one day. Usually apple juices without preservatives are a little more pricey. Typically ones labeled "Organic" don't have any preservatives. They also tend to advertise that fact by saying things like "No Preservatives, No Added Sugar, No Additives," etc.

If there is some alcohol in your cider but not a lot, then it might be fermenting, but just doing so very slowly.

Back