Started 1st and 2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob270

Reaction score
I received a Mr Beer kit for Christmas. I started a west coast pale ale that came with the kit. This has been fermenting in the keg for 2 weeks. I plan on doing the 2,2,2 method with it. I will be bottling it tomorrow. This is my first batch.

For my second batch I went out and purchased the whole setup with a 5 gallon glass carboy. I am making a porter with it. A vanilla porter to be exact. I steeped 4 oz's of black patent, 4 oz of chocolate malt and 4 oz of crystal malt for 30 minutes at 155 degrees. Then cut the heat off and added 3.3 lbs of dark malt extract, 3.3 lbs of amber malt extract. Put heat back on and brought to a boil. Then added some vanilla extract (don't know measurements of that) and added bitting hops to it at boil. I let boil for 30 minutes then added some flavoring hops for the last 30 minutes of the boil. Then I cooled the wort and transferred to the glass carboy. I added nottingham ale yeast when temp was at 85 degrees. I rolled and shook the carboy around to get some oxygen going. Let sit for 5 minutes then did a gravity test and got 1.044. Fermentation began that night and everything is going good. Can't wait.

Good going! You didn't say how big a batch of stout you are making but from the quantities of malt extract I would assume 5 gallons. What are you fermenting this in and at what temperature? You may find that you have a very vigorous ferment if it is warm and may need a "blowoff tube" for this.

Awww yes a 5 gallon batch and in a glass carboy. I did install a blowoff tube. I am fermenting at around 70 degrees. It is current bubbling away like crazy. About a bubble every second. There has been some overflow. Not beer overflow but foam. Someone advised me of the blowoff tube to start with for the first few days. Then I plan on switching to a three piece airlock.

Just an update, Today is bottling day for my second batch. I popped a few beer in the fridge a few days ago from the first batch just for the occasion. The porter fermented in a primary for 21 days. I will be letting it sit in the bottles for 2 weeks before I put a few in the fridge for a sample. Happy day.

Back