Starsansucked back into carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
My friend brewed his first batch last night and put the beer into his carboy and attached a blowoff tube before he allowed the wort to cool. He woke up this morning and realized a cup or two of solution had been sucked into the carboy. I'm thinking this wont be a major problem. Can anyone offer insight on this?

No wories,m8. Starsan breaks down into yeast nutrient. The vacuum was created by the cooling liquid within the FV. Try to get it chilled down to pitch temp before adding to the fermenter with top off water next time.

I agree with union on this one. If I had a dollar for every ounce of star San I had sucked out of my airlock I could open a brewery lol

I learned this one pretty early on. Hard to believe it's 2 years ago this month. About 6 days from now. The vacuum thing is the reason I listened to Gary from Homebrewer TV with the cheap vodka in the airlock bit. Then the five star guy on that brewcast about the yeast nutrient bit.

unionrdr said:
I learned this one pretty early on. Hard to believe it's 2 years ago this month. About 6 days from now. The vacuum thing is the reason I listened to Gary from Homebrewer TV with the cheap vodka in the airlock bit. Then the five star guy on that brewcast about the yeast nutrient bit.

I live in Canada. There's no such thing as cheap vodka here. ; ) Thanks for the help folks.

We have the cheap,42% stuff in the grocery store here. I noticed up there that you guys can't get it that way by law.

can you get everclear, or some sort of low grade grain alchohol (the drinkable kind)? you don't need much to fill an airlock

also... the starsan won't hurt you, or your beer... heck, you may have found a new flavor combination.

The thing I don't like about starsan in the airlock is when it bubbles,the starsan foams out pretty quick. That's the reason I use cheap vodka. But everclear or the like would do just as well. Probably better.

It will be fine, as others have said, just try to get everything cooled down a bit more before you put on your blow off tube next time. Another thing that might help is to make sure your blow off exit (bowl or pitcher, jar, etc. is below the fermenter. It just makes it a little more difficult for the vacuum to suck the starsan back.

I'm about to rack my IPA wort to my fermenter, True Brew bucket (first time brewer, today is the first brew)...just curious, should I soak my airlock in star San before inserting it into the hole the top of my bucket lid? Also I boiled my top off water like 2 hrs ago and have been letting it cool down and haven't opened the lid on the pot it's in (spare 2 gallon stock pot I already had)...so that water should be sterile still right? Thanks so much and sorry is this is beginner stuff for y'all!

I'm about to rack my IPA wort to my fermenter, True Brew bucket (first time brewer, today is the first brew)...just curious, should I soak my airlock in star San before inserting it into the hole the top of my bucket lid? Also I boiled my top off water like 2 hrs ago and have been letting it cool down and haven't opened the lid on the pot it's in (spare 2 gallon stock pot I already had)...so that water should be sterile still right? Thanks so much and sorry is this is beginner stuff for y'all!

Yeah, soak the airlock. Always better to be safe than sorry. Yes, your boil water is sterile. Just make sure it's cooled before you use it to top off. You probably did some work to get the temp down, no need to raise it back up again.

Thanks CloneFan94! Def better to be safe than sorry and it was a LOT of ice and work to cool the wort down, the top off water thankfully was at room temp by then.

Back