starsan vs iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this. Dionne Gentle Iodine...

2209723.jpg

Tractor Supply Company - Dionne Gentle Iodine 1%, 1 gal

Thanks!

Do you dilute it and if so by what factor?

Not highjacking just increasing the general knowledge :D

Am I the only one that thinks the title of this thread sounds like a bad Japanese monster movie?

But seriously, I've tried iodophor and had no complaints at all about the results. I usually just shake off the extra water and don't worry about it. I haven't tried starsan yet, but I almost certainly will.

I use both Iodophor and Sanstar. Iodophor for my kegging lines because it seems to dry faster. Not only that but once the Sanstar didn't dry all the way and I could taste it in my beer. Never had that problem with Iodphor.

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: Weissbeir
Secondary: Cream Ale
Keg: B's Honey Blonde Ale
Keg: Cream Ale

I use both, but I prefer Star-San. The Iodophor came with my brewing kit, but the first time I used it my tubing got stained yellow.

So I use the Iodophor for large-volume sanitizing to try and get rid of it, and I use the Star-San for small-volume (like a measuring-cup full to keep my bottle caps in while bottling).

I may switch tactics and simply alternate between the two as I make each batch, to keep my equipment from developing a house bug.

I love the no-rinse, though, and the spray-bottle of Star-San (in distilled water so it never goes bad) is awesome. I spray everything that's going to get near the beer.

Back