Starsan question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
How long can a mixed Starsan solution be used for before it goes bad (weak)? I have 3 buckets and what I did was cleaned one with it, then transferred Starsan to another bucket and finally into the 3rd. That 3rd bucket I kept full of Starsan for a week before I was ready to use the bucket.

Another question if I use Starsan on one of my buckets and clean it and then let it drip out and dry out and store it in my closet (closed bucket) for 2 weeks - can I use it without resanitizing it again? I think I should be able to since there was nothing that got inside the bucket since it was washed. I will wash it prior to using it but dont want to make another 5 gallon batch of Starsan?

1)Search=storing starsan

2) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1018024-post11.html

and you NEVER NEED to make 5 gallons of sanitizer to sanitize...look at the thread linked in the post on number 2, the one marked sanitizer questions, I put a lot of tips on using all sanitizers on there. Once it is dry, regardless of if you covered it, I wouldn't trust it to be sanitized...

I know you can test it with a ph strip but I've never done so. I just mix up a gallon on brew day and fill a spray bottle and just spray the crap out of everything a couple of times. I barely use a bottle's worth for the whole day. There's no need to soak with starsan, just 30 seconds to a minute of contact time and that's it, so basically my rule of thumb is that if it has come into contact with it, its good to go as by the time you are ready to use it enough time has passed.

I made up 5 gallons today, but only because i didn't know better. Now i realize why i don't need 5 gallons. I wasn't sure if just spraying down would be enough, now i see that it is.

You dont rinse buckets? You spray them instead?

I don't know what you mean by rinse the buckets...you mean after you sanitize with starsan? No you don't rinse the sanitizer off after using it..

And yes you can use a spray bottle of sanitizer made with RO water and starsan or iodophor. I always have a spray bottle of it handy. You grab it when you want to take hydro readings, or open your bucket...things like that.

But when brewing and bottling and stuff, I mix up two gallons of sanitizer...that way I can be sure to sanitize the autosiphon, and the spigot on the bottling bucket, and I but in in my fermenter and shake it around for about a minute to coat the surface, then dump it back into a bucket.

I do just like Revvy - and then store the leftover in an old icing bucket that I got from a bakery. That seals it up well and keeps for a while. I make a new batch every month or so. At the rate I am going it will take me forever to go through a container of the concentrate.

One of the many invaluable things I've learned here is conserving Star San. My first container of that stuff didn't last a month.... no I get forever from even a couple of gallons.

Latest posts

Back