Starsan making water taste sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Started using starsan to sanitize my kegs and I noticed an acidic taste to the starsan/water mixture when cleaning the kegs (kegs had previously been cleaned with PBW and throuroughly rinsed. I thought starsan was tasteless/odorless? What's the deal?

Starsan is primarily phosphoric acid, so even when properly diluted, it will have a sour bite to it. However, as long as it is mixed and used as directed, it should not impart any taste to your beer.

I used to soak tap cleaning brushes in starsan and put them in the end of the tap after every use. I kept getting this off flavor in my beers and couldn't figure out where it was coming from On day, I forgot to put the brush in the tap and the off flavor was gone. Since I stopped using the brush, it has never returned. I'm convinced it was the starsan.

tap brush.jpg

I used to soak tap cleaning brushes in starsan and put them in the end of the tap after every use. I kept getting this off flavor in my beers and couldn't figure out where it was coming from On day, I forgot to put the brush in the tap and the off flavor was gone. Since I stopped using the brush, it has never returned. I'm convinced it was the starsan.

I stopped using those as well. Those things seem terribly unsanitary to me.

Back