Starsan How long is it good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katman

Reaction score
I was just wondering how long Starsan is good for after it is mixed with water? I have two gallons stored in plastic jugs that I made last weekend. I was going to use it for taking hydrometer readings, resealing the fermenter, etc.. but I realized I was not sure how long it will keep.

It does not really go bad by just sitting around and you can recycle it a lot. As long as the pH level is below 3.5 or so it is good to go.

I keep a batch around until it gets visibly nasty. Probably 2-3 brew sessions. I used to measure pH occasionally, but too lazy now. Have not had an infection

Months. I have a friend I taught to brew, gave him a little Star-San to get him started. I thought he'd be refreshing/replacing his 5-gallon bucket of Star-San every once in a while, but at one point, he'd gone more than a year without changing it. I thought, "Perfect chance for an experiment," so I took a sample and ran a pH test on it. It was well under 3, so still good.

Mine tends to collect stuff in the bottom, so from time to time I'll redo the bucket, but I'm sure that's more an aesthetic thing than anything else.

I mix mine with tap water. I have these strips to test ph. After a month it shows no change. It is kept in my basement with little or no light. After two or three brews I just mix another 2.5 gals just because it is cheaper than loosing a beer to infection.

Thanks everyone! I had been mixing up a new batch every brew day and I hate to waste materials/money if I don't have to.

I make a new batch about every other month. More often in summer as more things flying around in my garage that might get into it. Mine goes cloudy pretty much right away but that doesn’t seem to matter.

I was just wondering how long Starsan is good for after it is mixed with water? I have two gallons stored in plastic jugs that I made last weekend. I was going to use it for taking hydrometer readings, resealing the fermenter, etc.. but I realized I was not sure how long it will keep.
ive had a couple gallons made for months . I put what fits in a spray bottle and use it that way most of the time. It is a contact sanitizer so as long as the surface gets completely wet ,doesnt need to be submerged ,it's treated.

I read somewhere - a long time back, that it keeps for about 30 days - so I've been changing it out every other brew or 30 days, whichever comes first.
I just looked at the label and there's no stale date shown - anything under 3.5 pH huh? Thanks for that info - now to get some pH strips .....
A Month?, A couple of Months? ...... As long as a year?? ....... Now I feel like a dunce - look at all the Star San I've wasted over the years!!

Thanks Katman for asking this question!

Months. I have a friend I taught to brew, gave him a little Star-San to get him started. I thought he'd be refreshing/replacing his 5-gallon bucket of Star-San every once in a while, but at one point, he'd gone more than a year without changing it. I thought, "Perfect chance for an experiment," so I took a sample and ran a pH test on it. It was well under 3, so still good.

Mine tends to collect stuff in the bottom, so from time to time I'll redo the bucket, but I'm sure that's more an aesthetic thing than anything else.
It's a phosphoric acid solution, there is little reason why the pH would change, unless alkaline cleaners, wort, or dirty items were dumped in it. I'd be more worried about the other additives, especially the surfactant, that may have bound and precipitated.

How clear was your friend's Starsan solution by that time?
Was there a white or light grayish precipitate on the bottom? Or was it mixed up again?

It's a phosphoric acid solution, there is little reason why the pH would change, unless alkaline cleaners, wort, or dirty items were dumped in it. I'd be more worried about the other additives, especially the surfactant, that may have bound and precipitated.

How clear was your friend's Starsan solution by that time?
Was there a white or light grayish precipitate on the bottom? Or was it mixed up again?

Still pretty clear--he only brought in a sample, I didn't look in the bucket so can't say about the rest of the things. I always use RO water for mine as the cloudiness is offputting to me. :) I know it doesn't matter, it just seems like something's wrong.

Depends on your water source, cleanliness of utensils you are putting in the starsan, and I would imagine temperature plays a certain role. I've had some batches last 3 months, some more than 6 months. I always pour some sanitizer in a 2-4 quart stainless steel bowl during wort boils then discard that at the end of boils. I noticed over the years that leaving any kind of plastic ( airlock/hoses) in the sanitizer bucket for any length of time other than sanitizing will degrade the solution and turn it cloudy. A good rule of thumb is as long as your solution is Crystal clear, it's good. If it's cloudy, dump it. You can get cheap pH test strips on Amazon or eBay or even a low cost decent chemical pH test kit which to me is more accurate. Most folks use the Clear or Cloudy rule and do well with it. Cheers [emoji481][emoji481]

Depends on your water source, cleanliness of utensils you are putting in the starsan, and I would imagine temperature plays a certain role. I've had some batches last 3 months, some more than 6 months. I always pour some sanitizer in a 2-4 quart stainless steel bowl during wort boils then discard that at the end of boils. I noticed over the years that leaving any kind of plastic ( airlock/hoses) in the sanitizer bucket for any length of time other than sanitizing will degrade the solution and turn it cloudy. A good rule of thumb is as long as your solution is Crystal clear, it's good. If it's cloudy, dump it. You can get cheap pH test strips on Amazon or eBay or even a low cost decent chemical pH test kit which to me is more accurate. Most folks use the Clear or Cloudy rule and do well with it. Cheers [emoji481][emoji481]

My solution is cloudy almost from the beginning and ph measurement is good over a month.

My solution is cloudy almost from the beginning and ph measurement is good over a month.
Should not be cloudy. Are you using tap water? RO? The best and recommended is Distilled. I know also temperature plays a role. It should be room temperature, not too cold or hot. I've noticed my solution gets cloudy if the room ambient temperature is too cold. Try using distilled water room temperature 68-72° and store it at room temp.

Should not be cloudy. Are you using tap water? RO? The best and recommended is Distilled. I know also temperature plays a role. It should be room temperature, not too cold or hot. I've noticed my solution gets cloudy if the room ambient temperature is too cold. Try using distilled water room temperature 68-72° and store it at room temp.

Ja! I would need a water heater. My tap water is 42-55F. Basement temp 64-61F. I’m not worried because after 13 brews seems to be working fine. Tks.

I mix it up a 1/2 gallon at a time. I do keep a spray bottle around which last months. It's easier for me to not have to store gallons. Anyway, the 32 oz bottle is going to last me a long time even mixing new batches most of the time.

I just mixed up a fresh 2.5 gal batch in my bucket but the one I dumped I had reused for awhile. I don't know exactly how long I kept it but I'm going to say somewhere between 3-6 months. I checked the ph periodically and it was always below 3. in the mid 2s. Checked it before I dumped and it was still well below 3 but figured it was time.

Back