StarSan Foaming in the Air Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icedub

Reaction score
This is my second batch ever- Whitey’s Gone Fishin IPA from The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. I'm loving the brewing experience!

I pitched the yeast about 20 hours ago, and its bubbling away. With this batch, I switched from a powdered sanitizer that required rinsing to starsan.. I was taught to put sanitizer in the airlock, but am noticing that the star san is foaming out. Will it go completely dry? I recognize that I need to replace the starsan with another liquid so that the airlock doesn’t completely foam out, but am not sure what to fill it with- I saved some starsan in a mason jar from my brew but I think its going to continue to empty itself. Would tap water be OK or is this a contamination concern?

Thanks,
Ethan

photo.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg

Hey icedub, first off welcome to the forums. Personally I just use RO water in my air lock and have never had an issue with it. Or, just keep doing as your doing and refilling with StarSan. I've also read where some use Vodka.

Tap water is okay, but not ideal.

I'd say refill with starsan if/when it starts emptying out. I'll take you all of 3 seconds and you'll have to do it maybe once (after that fermentation will taper off anyway). That way you'll have piece of mind in the event that you get anything sucked back through the airlock into the beer.

I use cheap 80 proof Vodka. I also keep some in a small spray bottle for when I need to sanitize something small instead of mixing up sanitizer.

I have used starsan for years in my airlock. Never been an issue! I have used vodka, but it evaporates pretty quickly.

I have used starsan for years in my airlock. Never been an issue! I have used vodka, but it evaporates pretty quickly.

I like the "S" bubbler air locks because vodka doesnt evap out of them, even after a several week ferment.

I'm a big fan of the vodka in the airlock, it has always worked for me.

I don't think I've ever had one that the star san didn't bubble like that. Keep an eye on it and refill if necessary but it should stop bubbling out in a day or two.

Wow. Thanks all for your replies. What a vibrant community there is here!

@whutever - Excuse my ignorance.. "RO" Water = "Regular Old Water..?"

@Nurmey - I've stumbed upon threads that assert that star-san can eat through or weaken plastic. I'm assuming your airlock is plastic like mine- has that ever been a problem for you?

I've been filling my airlocks with star san and they always have bubbles like that. The amount of star san that it takes to make those bubbles is not going to be enough to empty out your airlock though.

Don't worry about it, if it gets low just fill it with some of your reserved star san or tap water.

I keep mixed star san in a distilled water plastic jug for months at a time and it's still there. It might hurt some plastic but none I've ever used.

RO water = reverse osmosis

@Nurmey - I've stumbed upon threads that assert that star-san can eat through or weaken plastic. I'm assuming your airlock is plastic like mine- has that ever been a problem for you?

I use star san exclusively for filling my airlocks. It always bubbles like that. As the others have said, it will subside after a couple of days. Typically, I only have to add additional into the airlock 1 time during fermentation (if at all).

As for the effects on plastic, I keep a star san and water mix in a covered 5 gallon bucket. Hasn't worn a hole yet. I also keep a spray bottle of star san and water on hand. No problems there either. The only thing to watch out for is leaving plastic items soaking in the star san solution for long periods of time. It won't eat the plastic, but it will leave a soapy residue on the items. It rinses right off, but I'm not sure what it would do after a couple of months of soaking.

Never have used anything but tap water in my airlocks. As of date I have not had any infections..

Back