StarSan bubbles and such

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upship

Reaction score
So I know not to "fear the foam" but how much residual foam is too much foam in the Carboy? I'm worried about my yeast.

So I know not to "fear the foam" but how much residual foam is too much foam in the Carboy? I'm worried about my yeast.

It's not going to hurt anything. Just don't leave liquid in the carboy. I dump until all that comes out is foam and I've never had an issue.

When you add the wort, the star san foam actually breaks down and becomes a nutrient for the yeast.

Plus almost all of the foam gets pushed out the top of the carboy in what we like to call "Starsan Volcano"

...okay, maybe I'm the only one who calls it that.

Your yeast will LOVE the foam, it breaks down into yeast food. It's also good for septic fields.

Starsan was designed pretty much specifically for beer brewers. As opposed to iodophor which was taken from the dairy industry.

There is absolutely NOTHING about starsan that is damaging to your beers. Just your kitchen counters if it comes in contact with undiluted.

Sweet. Okay then, this is my first lager, we are approaching the 24-hour mark and there has been zero observable fermentation. No bubbling, no kreausen...nada. Level of worried I should be?

Sweet. Okay then, this is my first lager, we are approaching the 24-hour mark and there has been zero observable fermentation. No bubbling, no kreausen...nada. Level of worried I should be?

after 72 hours is when you take a gravity reading and see what's going on. It's quite common for yeast to take 2-3 days to get going, it's called lag time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock. it means gravity reading

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

Besides, lagers are really slow to start. So even 72 hours might be too soon. I wouldn't worry at all. You have to realize that modern yeast really just don't "not work" these days, especially if you made a starter which already proved to you your yeast is viable ;) If you didn't make a starter it's STILL going to take even longer, but still work fine.

SO that's what this is really about, you're impatience and worry, not anything of substance. :D

repomanz said:
I've heard this several times. Can someone break it down to me how this occurs?

Alls I know is that its largely phosphoric acid, and phosphates are used in fertilizer, and I bet there's a connection there. :p

Revvy, thank you! I know it's my impatience and worry I wad just looking for reassurance. And sorry for repeating info from the sticky. I have trouble finding stuff from my iPhone. I'll just observe.

Back