Starsan as a general purpose sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

grittanomyces

Reaction score
Lately I've found myself using Starsan to wipe down things that 1) are dusty or dirty, and I don't want to leave smelly cleaner residue/chemicals on, or 2) if I've been sick, anything I'm touching and bringing out to public.

I know this isn't the same as sterilization, but I'm not some germophobe, just a guy who would prefer an acid-based non-toxic solution over using traditional cleaners when/if I can.

The question is what surfaces is it not okay on, or if there is an issue with using this for simple household sanitation and wiping down.

And feel free to add how/if you use it for non-brewing purposes or why you don't.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
Starsan IS a general purpose sanitizer for food surfaces. See their material use sheet. So you are good to go.

I simply prefer quarternary ammonium compounds, the type of stuff in Dow bathroom cleaner and any number of sanitizing wipes and sprays. It is less expensive than starsan in the small quantities used at home and also approved for use on food surfaces.

General rules for sanitizing food surfaces here

LordUlrich

Reaction score
I use it all the time on counter tops and cutting boards. The concentrate is hard on most surfaces, diluted no big deal in my experience.