Starsan and pastic spray bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franco

Reaction score
So today I went to pick up my spray bottle of star-san, and noticed a wet spot underneath it. I usually soak my equipment in 5 gallons of water to 1oz star-san and fill a spray bottle with that mixture.

Now granted, it was an el-cheapo spray bottle and I never really had high hopes for it anyway, but I've never heard of sanitizer eating through plastic before. Has this ever happened to you?

Its the pressure that the starsan creates in the bottle. Oxiclean does the same. It oozes from the nozzle and will expand the bottle if you close it.

Its the pressure that the starsan creates in the bottle. Oxiclean does the same. It oozes from the nozzle and will expand the bottle if you close it.

Huh, that makes more sense than the acid eating through the bottle.. I was just surprised - never had that one happen to me before.

I use Purisan and keep a batch of it in a spray bottle, no issues at all aside from wearing out the sprayers every 4 months or so on average from use.

The starsan will not eat through plastic. I agree it is probably dripping from the top or you just got a defective bottle

Back