Starch Peanut Brewing Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolclay

Reaction score
OK, so I am a fairly experienced beer/wine/distiller, and have decided to try an experimental recycling brewing project.

So starch packing peanuts are usually made from refined corn starch. They come in large quantities when I order brewing supplies, so I have a ton! Now if I use some amylase to convert the starch, add some nutrients, and some high alcohol yeast, theoretically I should be able to brew the mash as normal. Then proceed to standard distilling protocols.

Anyone have any ideas/inputs on why or why not this may not work. I can't find any literature on the topic for brewing EtOH, there is some info on fermenting into butanyl with Clostridium beijerinckii though which isn't really applicable.

Yea, I know I've been a lurker here for quite some time, but fermentation is fermentation, it's all the same process of converting your starches to glucose, and then fermentation etc. etc. Just wondering if anyone had any input.

I did not know that about packing peanuts. I'll have to do some research into that. My roommate teaches renewable energy and we've been looking at options for an ethanol lab. Swamp grass/cattails seems to be the current popular source. Packing peanuts would make things interesting.

I'm not sure what part of "distilling talk isn't allowed here" was hard to understand.

This forum is for beer, wine, mead, cider and soda only. Not sugar washes for distilling, or any other form of distilling. Please refer to the rules of our forum and abide by them, particularly rule #2. Thank you!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_rules_regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back