Star Sans Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is Star Sans a "Rinse Free" Product? I have been using it, then rinsing out all the bubbles from the Carboy prior to adding my Wort. Should I just leave the bubbles and pour the Wort into the Carboy? Or am I doing things right at the current time?

Yep, sure is. I use 1 Tbs with 2.5 gallons of water. Don't worry about foam. Just rack on top of it. It will dilute and become food for the yeast. Great stuff!

I would put a couple quarts in the carboy and put a solid stopper in it. Then swirl it so the Starsan has contact with all the surface. Then pour it back in your bucket and then dip the neck in it. Cover with saran wrap and you are good to go till you need to rack.

Thank Ed!!! You wouldn't per chance know what the Contact time is for Star Sans is for it to do it's job, would ya?

cpbergie said:
I believe its 2 minutes.

That's what the FDA make 5 Star put on the label, but 30 seconds is the reallity.

I still take a few minutes for my carboys, buckets, & kegs to coat and recoat with starsan before I turn them upside down to drain.

EdWort said:
That's what the FDA make 5 Star put on the label, but 30 seconds is the reallity.

I still take a few minutes for my carboys, buckets, & kegs to coat and recoat with starsan before I turn them upside down to drain.

quoted for truth. Don't fear the foam! it actually breaks down into basic chemicals that yeast can use for nutrients. not a lot, since it's just the foam...but still.

I was using this for the first time yesterday, man was I freaking at all of the foam. However, I figured all would be ok, I did dilute it correctly.

This stuff is amazing, it's almost like all of my plastic items that soaked in it came out cleaner than when they went in!?

Also it does take paint off the Corona bottles nicely

First time I used Star San I had foam all over the place. SWMBO walked into the bathroom and freaked and simply replied "Don't fear the foam!"

This is the foam from the other day (the foam is spiraling up the tube):
100_2609_2.JPG

and you have a nice and clean better bottle at the end of the day.

Side note question:

How long can you keep this stuff? I have a pretty full 5 gallon bucket full of it that I can't justify throwing out. It looks clean still, no chunks of anything, not discolored at all either. I know the Idophor doesn't keep long because the iodine evaporates.

This stuff also seems like it takes labels off pretty well if you let it soak with bottles you are trying to take paint off of too!

You have to be careful when keeping it in buckets like bottling buckets it will break down the seals. I keep mine in a spare carboy and just add to it when needed.

I've been using the StarSan for a while but I had no idea the bubbles could actually be eaten by the yeast. I always worried just a bit that the sanitizer would kill some of them. What a great product! :D

98EXL said:
and you have a nice and clean better bottle at the end of the day.

Side note question:

How long can you keep this stuff? I have a pretty full 5 gallon bucket full of it that I can't justify throwing out. It looks clean still, no chunks of anything, not discolored at all either. I know the Idophor doesn't keep long because the iodine evaporates.

This stuff also seems like it takes labels off pretty well if you let it soak with bottles you are trying to take paint off of too!

According to Charlie Talley (inventor) you can keep it essentially forever. This amount of time will be less depending on the organic load and hardness of the water. I make mine in jugs of distilled water and clean everything well before sanitizing. I use it until I decide to make some more...usually when I bottle.

But in the end, it works so long as its pH is 3 or less.

thanks gentlemen......I'm not worried about the bucket seals, it's just a big enough container to hold it in

Back